New Student Orientation for students starting in the spring semester will consist of one full day of Academic Advising, learning about academics at Penn State, meet new students, faculty, and staff, attend interactive workshops conducted by faculty and staff to learn about academic procedures, electronic resources, and so much more!
NSO for First Year Students
During NSO, students will:
- Learn more about academics at Penn State
- Meet with an Academic Adviser
- Schedule Fall 2017 Courses
Once you activate your Access Account, please complete the following steps:
- Take your ALEKS Math Assessment
- Complete your Educational Planning Survey
- Do your Pre-NSO Homework
- Register for NSO at Penn State New Kensington!
- You will not be eligible to access our Penn State Orientation Reservation System until you receive an email from Penn State with the subject "Make Your Reservation for NSO.
What to Expect:
Once you select your NSO advising date, be sure to block off the entire day. Programs and scheduling meetings will vary for each student so be sure that you are available for the entire day.
All new students (regardless of age) are expected to complete Penn State AWARE (a sexual assault awareness learning module), and students who are 21 and under must complete Penn State SAFE (Student Alcohol Feedback and Education). Following orientation, please check your Penn State WebMail account for information and updates about accessing and completing Penn State SAFE and Penn State AWARE.
You may log in and complete the Penn State SAFE and Penn State AWARE programs once the invitation is sent via email. Information and log on for the SAFE and AWARE online learning resources can be found at http://edge.psu.edu/firstyear/.
Key Parts of Orientation:
- Life at Penn State - This session is an opportunity for students to see all that Penn State New Kensington has to offer outside of the classroom to enhance their educational experiences. Our student leaders will speak with students about their experiences, be very honest about time management and balancing expectations, and encourage students to take advantage of all the benefits of Penn State New Kensington. Visit the Student Life page check out all the great things we have on campus for students on our activities calendar.
- Penn State Pride & Penn State Values - Building a community where every individual is valued and treated with respect is at the core of the Penn State Values. Our student leaders will present ideas to help new students better understand these values and the policies that guide all citizens of the Penn State Community.