UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — This summer marks the first year for Penn State’s early action as an option for Penn State applicants for summer/fall 2019. Penn State’s applications open Aug. 1.
As announced earlier this year, those who complete the application by Nov. 1 will be considered early-action applicants and will receive a decision by Dec. 24. Early-action applicants will receive notice of their student aid package in mid-February, giving them more time to sort out their financial position.
Early action does not obligate admitted students to attend Penn State. Early-action applicants still have until May 1 to make their decision.
The new dates and deadlines are:
- Aug. 1, 2018: Applications for undergraduate admission become available
- Oct. 1, 2018: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available
- Nov. 1, 2018: Penn State's new early action filing deadline
- Nov. 1, 2018: Schreyer Honors College priority filing date
- Nov. 30, 2018: Application priority filing date for students not selecting early action
- Dec. 1, 2018: FAFSA recommended filing date
- Dec. 24, 2018: Early-action applicants will receive their decision (admit, defer, deny)
- Jan. 31, 2019: Priority filing date applicants will receive their decision
- Mid-February 2019: Early awarding of student aid begins for applicants in early action
- May 1, 2019: National Decision Day (enrollment deposits are due)
In addition to applying through MyPennState (available Aug. 1), prospective students can also apply during the early-action window through the Coalition application (available Aug. 1). In late August, students may choose to apply using the Common Application. The required materials are the same for all methods: Applicants will need to complete one of the applications, provide standardized test scores, and their self-reported academic record.
For more information, visit the Penn State admissions website.
Early action was implemented through a joint effort of the Office of Undergraduate Education, the Office of Student Aid, and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Penn State Undergraduate Education is the academic administrative unit that provides leadership and coordination for University-wide programs and initiatives in support of undergraduate teaching and learning at Penn State. Learn more about Undergraduate Education at undergrad.psu.edu.