Penn State New Kensington students, faculty and staff may submit IT funding proposals for consideration. Please read the specifics of the process below.
A large portion of the campus IT allocation is utilized to keep the following items up to date:
- Network infrastructure (wired and wireless)
- Classroom computers
- Server infrastructure (authentication, storage, printing)
- Classroom video conferencing
- Classroom audio/video equipment (Projectors, sound systems, DVD/VCR, etc.)
- Classroom software
- Funds required to pay for the lifecycle of student-use computers, peripheral equipment, software, wages for student Help Desk employees, and appropriate instructional technology enhancement projects identified by the Director of IT will be allocated first. Remaining funds will be considered discretionary funds.
- Funds are not to be used to support faculty or staff computing needs.
- Funds are to be used to acquire equipment, supplies, and services in support of student computing needs and instruction.
- Priorities for use of funds will be:
- keeping computing equipment and facilities current
- enhancing instructional spaces in support of student learning
- support of other student computing needs.
- Disbursement of discretionary funds will be decided by review and vote of the IT Council.
- Discretionary funds should typically be used for one-time purchases and not continuing items.
- All moneys should typically be spent in the academic year the funds were received. Money may be reserved for future anticipated costs of lifecycling or enhancement projects.
- Funds not spent in one academic year are to be carried over into the following academic year in the Information Technology budget.
- Funds may be used to offset student printing costs.
- Purchased equipment that is to be recycled or salvaged will be re-assigned or disposed of at the discretion of the Director of IT.
Submission of Proposals
- Proposals for discretionary funds may be submitted by students, staff and faculty using the Penn State New Kensington IT Funding Proposal form.
- Upon submission, you will receive confirmation that your proposal and supporting document(s) have been received.
- After your proposal has been reviewed and voted on by the campus IT Council, you will receive notification of the verdict as well as the next steps.